Thursday, May 8, 2008

"You seem like the kind of person that get's asked weird questions all the time..."

Yes, thank you. That was an actual comment that was made to me today. I think this woman made my day, if not my week.

So, my friend, Chelsea, and I were at the Red Box at the Albertson's near the laundry mat, which is on the other side of town as me, and we were taking a while with our selection. I turned around to find a woman, between the ages of 36-40, waiting for us to finish, I apologized assuming she was waiting to use the machine as well. When we finished, she goes, "I have a funny question and favor to ask you." And I replied with asking what she needed.

She then explained how her boyfriend had just texted her asking her to send a picture of her "butt" and asked if I could take a picture of her rear with her camera phone. I chuckled a bit, giving her time to tell me it was joke. I soon learned that it was not a joke and then agreed, because it took a lot of guts for her to ask some random person at the grocery store for a favor of that measure. While I was in the midst of taking this picture with her phone, she received a second message from her boyfriend which stated, "naked works too." I was slightly surprised and appalled all at once, as this "sexting" culture that I had recently heard about on CNN is not even close to my normal dealings. I didn't even know that these naughty things took place before I saw the segment a little over a week ago.

I then jokingly said that he would just have to wait for that kind of picture for later. She embarrassingly laughed in response. So I took the photo, and after, she wanted to engage in small talk with me to put her nerves at ease I suppose. She explained how she had walked through the entire store for about 5 minutes, looking for someone to ask, that would not think she was weird and be creeped out. Apparently I was the lucky one. She then stated the title of this blog: "You seem like the kind of person that get's asked weird questions all the time..." As soon as she finished the sentence, Chelsea chimed in with, "Oh yeah, all the time. She has weird situations like everyday. " And the woman said, "Yeah, she seems like that kind of person."

After taking the time to think about it, I will take it as a compliment. It is nice to be considered approachable and open-minded. I think most people would have been bothered by being approached by such a woman, but to be honest, it was one of the funniest things that have happened to me in a long time. Thank you mystery woman, I hope you and your boyfriend of only one week have many more weeks to share with each other.