Friday, September 19, 2008

Post-It Blogging

As stated in a previous blog, I wish I had live blogging, but the reality is that I don't. Instead I have jotted down on post-it notes things that I would like to blog about. The point was to ensure that I would not forget about all the things I needed to blog about....unfortunately I don't have the other half down...making sure to not lose the post-its. I am sure that I will find them as soon as I finish this post. That's how it always works. Right?

Wednesday night was karaoke night. I LOVE KARAOKE. I have been wanting to expand my horizons with karaoke. I wanted to reach beyond my usual, A-Ha's "Take on Me," The Cardigans' "Love Fool" and The Human League's "Don't You Want Me." With this in mind, I decided to prepare, a new medley, "The First Night," by Monica. I printed off the lyrics at work, and practiced in my car and at home to ensure that I had it just right. When I finally arrived at the bar, I anxiously turned to the M's and found every other song by Monica, except the one. Needless to say I was VERY, VERY disappointed. I was left at a loss. I didn't know what song to do. Finally after about 30 minutes of browsing the 5 in. binder, I selected "Spider Webs," by No Doubt. It was no Monica, but I rocked out. And yes, my eyes were closed.

Karaoke, overall, ended up being a real winner, for multiple reasons. First of all, there was homegirl, Terry, who had way too much to drink and hugged Meridith and myself because she thought she knew us. She said that we didn't recognize her, because of she no longer had her long punk rock hair. Simply put, we had never met her. It worked to Meridith's advantage that Terry assumed she knew us, because Meridith found herself in one of the most frightening Karaoke situations: singing a song that you have forgotten the tune to. Luckily, Terry was there to help homegirl out. The two stole the show by singing Whitney Houston to one another. Arms wrapped around one another, you would have thought they would have known each other for years.

I would have not wanted to follow their act, but one brave soul was up to the challenge. He put up a good fight too. Picture this: Older Asian man, Bill Cosby sweater, black leather fanny pack, doing "Falling in Love with You," by Elvis Presley out of tune and off key. It was straight from a movie. It was honestly, a dream come true, kind of karaoke night, minus my song, but the rest of the events made up for it.

Most of you do not know, I live across the street from a high school. It's a temporary high school that kids attend as they are waiting for the school to be renovated. School is about to start out here, so there have been more kids out here lately, which has made me put on my safety sensors (whatever those may be), and as I was driving to work yesterday I had my faith restored in the public school system and their teachers. My mom was a teacher, and wonderful one at that, but she came home with stories of other teachers that made me fear for my future kids' education. But, yesterday, I saw a teacher walk around the block to have his student cool down and talk, I remembered that some people really do become teachers because they care for kids, and not for great holidays.

That's all I can remember from my post-it note though. I think its for the better because this post is starting to get a little too verbose.

No comments: